Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sláinte (slawn-cha) - Social Life

While not only studying here in Ireland I also have a busier social life. Whether I am in Spiddal or Galway visiting with locals or at Park Lodge hanging out with my classmates, I find myself to be quite the social butterfly. Nights out in Spiddal and Galway give us the opportunity to meet and visit with the locals. Several times in Spiddal we run into the same locals and pick up a conversation right away. Socializing is great because they give you insight and information about local events or places to see.

Something I really enjoy about going out here in Ireland is the live music. You don't just find live music in the pubs, they are also in restaurants. So if you don't want to drink you can go out and and enjoy the atmosphere along with everyone else. While visiting Cork we found a large two story pub/restaurant that had a band downstairs and another upstairs. I went upstairs and enjoyed some local musicians playing traditional music.


I am not only socializing with locals but the large group of us studying here together hang out on a daily basis. We recently even threw a birthday party for one of the girls. It was a lot of fun. In a very short amount of time we have all gotten to know a lot about each other. Many of us have connected on personal levels and are creating new lasting friendships. I am truly blessed to be on this amazing journey with such great people.

I feel like socializing while studying abroad is very important. Even if you are shy this is a great way to get out of your shell and get to know people you might have never known.  Go out for a bite to eat or a coupe drinks, you'll create memories and have stories to tell for years. I have been blessed to have friends come into my life all by putting myself out there and just staring a conversation. 




No comments:

Post a Comment