Monday, April 18, 2016

Making Community Connections (Service Project)

As a part of one of our classes we were to do a service project. This was a way to get us involved with the community of Spiddal. A few of us had the opportunity to go to the near by retirement home, Áras Chois Fharraige. At the retirement home they have different events and activities for the residents to participate in each day of the week.
http://www.thearas.com/home.html


During our visit we would join in and help with these activities. We did anything from playing cards, giving hand massages, and to doing chair aerobics. Each time we did something different and got to interact with the residents. One of my favorite ones that I met was Paddy. He is an adorable Irish man originally from Dublin. On the first day he taught me how to play 25, and Irish card game. It was so much fun and I even had some beginners luck and won! For another one of our visits they had a guest come in and play guitar and we had a singing session. I didn't know the words to all the songs but I sang along as best I could. Some of the residents even did some solos and they sang beautifully! (Paddy was one of the residents that did a solo.) The chair aerobics was one of my favorite activities led by Katie. She is one the staff members there and she is great with the residents. She speaks both Irish and English to them, to make them fell as much at home as possible.

Resident-Nora Folan, Staff-Katie Ui Chuláin, Dearbhla Thornton, Pat Folon, and Nancy Mullen.

Resident Nora Folan is 96 years old making her one of the oldest residents. 


Little did I know how much of an impact these people would have on my day. Each time I went to visit I left with a big smile on my face and my day was much brighter. Seeing their smiles and how happy they were to see guest made my time there worth every minute. I wish I would have had more time to go and visit to hear more of their stories but for now I will cherish my time I spent there.


No comments:

Post a Comment